File a Complaint
The Department of Labor processes the following types of employment-related complaints. You can visit any of the offices for the Department of Labor and submit a complaint in person. Depending upon the type of complaint, you may need to provide certain documents such as W-2, pay stubs, and/or any other supporting documents verifying the complaint.
Fair Labor Standards Division
Please be advised, claims that are e-mailed, mailed, or faxed will experience longer than normal wait times for processing. If you have internet access, you are highly encouraged to file your wage claim using the Department’s online system for more efficient processing.
- Online Wage Claim Form - Unpaid Wages, Minimum Wage, and Overtime Complaints.
To access the system, claimants will first need to create an Illinois Public ID account.
How to create an Illinois Public ID?
- Printable Complaint Form - Unpaid Wages, Minimum Wage, and Overtime Complaints.
Wage Complaint Form I Spanish I Polish
- Certificate of Service for Wage Claim
Conciliation and Mediation Division
- Child Bereavement Leave Complaint Form
- Employee Classification Complaint Form I Spanish I Polish
- Employee Sick Leave Complaint Form
- Equal Pay Complaint Form
- Family Bereavement Leave Complaint Form
- Personnel Records Review Complaint Form
- Prevailing Wage Complaint Form I Polish
- Right to Privacy in the Workplace Complaint Form
- Victims' Economic Security and Safety (VESSA) Complaint Form
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Complaint Form
- Safety and Health Hazard Complaint Form (Only employees of State and local government agencies are covered by the Occupational Safety and Health Act [820 ILCS 219/1-925])
- Safety and Health Hazard Online Complaint Form
- Discrimination Complaint for Exercising Your Workplace Safety Rights State and local government employees can report discrimination by completing the form.
Listed below are inquiries or areas of concern that do not fall under the jurisdiction of the Illinois Department of Labor. For answers regarding those inquiries and concerns, please contact the appropriate government agency directly. Contact information for other government agencies are listed below.
- Illinois Department of Employment Security
- (800) 244-5631
Income Tax Withholding (including 1099s and W2s)
- Internal Revenue Service
- (800) 829-4933
- Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission
- (312) 814-6500
Employee Benefits (ERISA/COBRA/Retirement/Pensions)
- U.S. Department of Labor - Employee Benefits Security Administration
- (312) 353-0900
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division
- (866) 487-9243
Workplace Safety and Health (private sector)
- U.S. Department of Labor - OSHA Regional Office
- (312) 353-2220
- Illinois Department of Human Rights
- (312) 814-6200
Union Labor Practice
- Illinois Labor Relations Board (ILRB)
- (217) 785-3155
Illinois Department of Labor enforces the state minimum wage. Some local units of government may enforce a different minimum wage.
- Chicago Department of Business Affairs & Consumer Protection
- (312) 744-6060
- Cook County Minimum Wage
- (312) 603-1100
Nurse (RN/LPN) License Lookup
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation
- (888) 473-4858