Bonus Pay, Severance, and Commission FAQ
The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) provided below highlight topics and specific questions that are often asked of the Illinois Department of Labor (IDOL). The information provided in the FAQs is intended to enhance public access and understanding of IDOL laws, regulations and compliance information.
The FAQs should not be considered a substitute for the appropriate official documents (i.e. statute and/or administrative rules.) Individuals are urged to consult legal counsel of their choice. Court decisions may affect the interpretation and constitutionality of statutes. The Department cannot offer individuals legal advice or offer advisory opinions. If you need a legal opinion, we suggest you consult your own legal counsel. These FAQs are not to be considered complete and do not relieve employers from complying with applicable IDOL laws and regulations.
- 1. What constitutes an earned bonus under the Wage Payment and Collection Act?
- 2. What constitutes severance pay under the Wage Payment and Collection Act?
- 3. Am I entitled to severance pay upon termination of employment?
- 4. What constitutes a commission and what commissions am I owed when I terminate employment?
1. What constitutes an earned bonus under the Wage Payment and Collection Act?
See Section 300.500.
2. What constitutes severance pay under the Wage Payment and Collection Act?
See Section 300.530.
3. Am I entitled to severance pay upon termination of employment?
Only if there is an agreement between employee and employer providing for the payment of severance pay and the conditions have been met.